When I started writing, I anticipated it would be mostly text with the occasional diagram included. But my most recent post was long enough I figured a picture might make it a bit more interesting.

I knew I could store the images in my Hugo static site repo, but I didn’t want the over-time slowdown caused by having to clone even small images. I wanted to host them outside the posts repo. There’s a chance in the future I will create a separate repo using LFS for content tracking and a CI job for uploading them, but manual uploads will suffice for now.

I started by looking at Cloudflare Images. I had read some blog posts about that service, and it sounded like a nice API. Upload you images, and the service automatically resizes them into variants that can be requested by alias for different resolutions. The pricing had a floor of $5 a month instead of strictly per-request cost. I’m sure it is a great, developer-friendly service, but I am only planning on every 4th post having images or around 12 images uploaded a year. At that point, I wanted something that would be basically free. I ended up going with Cloudflare R2 storage (like S3), configuring https://images.danieladamstech.com to serve the bucket, and pre-computing the variants client side.

Cloudflare R2 is a storage service with zero egress fees and a S3 compatible API. This docs page helpfully shows which portions of the API are implemented. The biggest feature missing in my mind is object versioning. I love S3’s versioning in combination with a lifecycle to expire noncurrent versions after 30 days. This provides a convenient “recycle bin” to help prevent accidental deletion.

Many of my iPhone camera pictures are in heic format which needs conversion to jpg for display in browsers. I found this article about how to use the Mac built-in tool sips for image conversion. Then I read that imagemagick had better results and is open source so ended up using that.

set -eu


# blog text width
magick "$SOURCE" -format jpg -resize 720 "$TARGET-small.jpg"
# 4k width
magick "$SOURCE" -format jpg -resize 3840 "$TARGET-large.jpg"